Important Guidelines on Statement of Purpose Computer Science
There exists a belief that writing a statement of purpose is the most challenging part of admission process. But it’s merely the lack of understanding about the document that makes this notion. For no reason almost every applicant struggles thinking about this simple yet important document. The first thing to keep in mind is the title itself- “Statement of Purpose”. Let’s cross analyse the words, with the second one first.
The word “purpose” is the real challenge, at the same time it can be the cause of your win. Always remember, statement of purpose is something that gives emphasise to that very objective.
Coming to the word – “statement”, means a definite or clear expression of something in speech or writing. That means you are asked to clearly express the matter of concern in writing an SOP. When seen together, SOP is nothing more than a document clearly expressing your purpose.
The very next hurdle is about necessity of SOP for an admission application. Why one wants to submit this document? You have proofs for all your academic accomplishments and work experiences, but can you personally evaluate a person, from his grades and resumes alone? That’s the reason why universities ask for an SOP. Personal evaluation….in terms of his real interests and enthusiasm for the selected program at that particular university.
The ‘how to write’ aspect needs to cover various aspects like structure, contents, style and some important dos and don’ts to be careful about while writing a Statement of Purpose. Also the section has to deal with the remaining part of the title, i.e. the name of the course applying for. Take reference from different types of statement of purpose for computer science samples to know the variation.
In order to get a career boost, most applicants prefer to do their masters. So they are keen in choosing an area of specialisation in their field of interest and the best suitable university. The difficult bit is that these are also the most sought options by all competent candidates – making it like a “survival of the fittest” situation. Computer Science is an ever-evolving field in this digital era. Hence, while writing your statement of purpose for computer science, it should have a present day relevance while you state your interests and motivations.
It is futile to say you have been passionate about the computers since you were 5 years old. For, the childhood infatuation is different from a career aspiration – the admission officers know it very well than you. So even if it’s true, they won’t believe it easily.
You have to write your achievements but not as a list or points as one puts in a CV. It has to be in a narrating style, but not as a fiction. Many a times I used to tell students to write the personal statement as a story. However, many took advantage of the word ‘story’ and made it something super fascinating but not suitable for submitting for a professional course. So here I like to clearly mention that, by saying make it like a story, it means – make it interesting, readable and compelling.
It’s now out-dated to make use of famous quotes and phrases from great people in introduction. If you can, bring any most relevant issue or an event that shows your real interest towards your field and the eagerness to know the global relevance of your field.
I think you would have read some tips for writing an SOP or about statement of purpose for MS in computer science format or something like that in other platforms. Here I am not including such a headline for the reason that I think the below point are not tips, but the essential mandates.
- It’s always better to remember that SOP has a structure or a format. But many universities don’t prescribe it separately. So a general format can be followed.
- Break it down into paragraphs. A maximum of five paragraphs are been used with a connection between them.
- Give a compelling introduction and conclusion.
- Introduce yourself and the course to which you seek admission in that university. Write a general introduction to show your interests to the course.
- In following body paras, provide instances and evidences to prove that your interests are valid and genuine.
- Conclude your statement of purpose for computer science by using persuasive lines and summarising the whole story.
- Some may ask, that can’t the length of one paragraph extend up to any length as one wishes? No, because there exists a constraint on the word count. Generally 700-800 words are allowed. Or else it can be up to 1000 words if mentioned in the university application manual. And also to make something readable it has to be short yet engaging!
- Formal language and writing tone are most appropriate for SOP. Using negative connotations and phrases, words that need to get searched for finding the meaning, abbreviations etc. has to be completely avoided.
- Tell about yourself and don’t have a generalised approach.
- Be creative but not end up getting rejected. Because while trying to be more artistic I have seen some applicants getting deviated away from the main purpose of their writing.
- Get professional help, if you wish. But note this point before you submit the statement of purpose for computer science written by some expert. Get it read many a times. Check with your GPA or academic grades or the language proficiency certificates like GRE scores, if it’s well above what your skills could do, it is going to give you a negative result. So be honest and express yourself even in the words and lines of your SOP.
- Proof-read…….Proof-read…. Proof-read…… This is to make you know that it’s really important. This helps to correct spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and any inappropriate sentences or phrases.
Don’t you think to get help from someone who knows all these do’s and don’ts will be worthier? If then feel free to contact us. Also check for our sample statement of purpose for phd admission in computer science.