Know in detail about UC Personal Statement
The uc personal statement is better to be called as personal insights now, for that the UC after a long 10 years, changed its application for undergraduate admissions, by replacing the two personal statements with 4 short answers to be replied from provided 8 questions. The main purpose of it is to allow applicants to express more freely by sharing their personal information with the University. For students, it is made easier to choose the relevant topic to write in their uc personal statement.
Generally the university considers 14 comprehensive review norms for their admission process. With the latest uc personal statement format the selection committee with get better insight about each candidate while allowing the applicants to choose apt questions they wish to convey to the University.
The main features of the new questionnaire to be answered in uc personal statement are:
- New applicants have to choose four questions to answer from a choice of eight.
- Transfer applicants have to answer one mandatory question and three questions out of the rest seven choices.
- Answer each question within 350 words.
- Each question have equal point and no benefit for choosing a particular question over the other.
The new system came into existence from 2017 admissions. From early 2016 itself, many agencies have conducted webinars and online tutorials to introduce this new change with the uc personal statement to the aspiring candidates to acquaint better understanding about it.
The UC gives clear guidelines and instructions about how to select and answer these questions in their admission application prospectus.
Besides above mentioned points, they also elucidates that each student is required to choose most relevant questions through which he can relate his experiences and personal achievements and draw a perfect picture about him through his uc personal statement.
They also made it clear that there is no right answer for these questions, they are meant to be as unique as the distinct applicants and what a candidate writes must be his personal opinion.
Overall the questions aims at providing a complete insight about a student from the major three aspects such as who are you, what your interests are and what do you like to tell the UC.
Now coming to the uc personal statement let’s discuss about the eight question-answer individually.
- Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts.
Realise that the term leadership means more than a mere title. And it is referred to as by different names like mentor, person in-charge for performing some tasks, the head of a project or an event etc. Considering these, go through your related achievements and lessons you learned from such responsible roles. Whether it was during your schooling, college, social service or even, while taking care of your family.
- Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically… Describe your creative side.
Think well before answering this question. Ask yourself questions like – How strong is my creative side to bag me the admission? What I gained from it? How it helped me to develop? Have I been engaged in any problem solving task? How I found its solution? Your uc personal statement should be very convincing here.
- What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
For answering this, you don’t need to have an award-winning incident or experience. Find which one of your skills or talents brought about a greater change in your life? How you developed it?
- Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.
The first part, educational opportunity deals with any of our projects, training or internships that you find as a pathway to choose the course you have applied for. The latter one, asks to mention about any hurdle that you came across in your educational sphere and how you tackled it and what you gained personally from it?
- Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
This is a very challenging yet a scoring question. Either from personal or academic sphere talk about something very significant that happened to you. How it happened and what was your stand in facing it? If you are a working professional, definitely you would have had such experiences a couple of times. And then figure out how it changed or redefined your life and personal character.
- Describe your favourite academic subject and explain how it has influenced you.
It is a direct question, where you have to particularly talk about your favourite subject in the uc personal statement. Beginning with how your interest in it was developed and any instances to prove it. How did it help you in choosing your career or future course of study?
- What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
The question is aimed to demonstrate any of your team work and the role you played in solving a problem or completing a task successfully. The focus is on – What motivated you to act in that way and what you learned from it? What is your experience in working as team?, etc.
- What is the one thing that you think sets you apart from other candidates applying to the University of California?
How you think you are fit for the University? What you have to offer their campus? Boast yourself but don’t express and make it feel like you are over confident and self-praising.
Something more to help you in answering these questions, we like to categorise them based on the core theme they are meant to convey. So you can generate ideas from within this outer frame.
- Questions 1, 4 and 7 needs to be related with people, material objects and /or abstract ideas surrounding your life and their influence upon you and the way you handled them.
- Questions 2 and 6 asks about yourself. They inquiries about the inner personality of an applicant like who are you? And what made you, like what you are? etc.
- Questions 3, 4, and 8 precisely needs to highlight one’s achievements.
You can find a number of real life experiences for each of the questions but you have to choose the most relevant one. Bur remember that while trying to be unique don’t end up in losing yourself. Express who actually are you, as the respective personal statements will be exceptionally distinct if written with utmost honesty…..
Kindly contact us for your uc personal statement writing services.