Importance of Statement of Interest | Writing Tips
A statement of interest is a crucial document required for admissions into most of the graduate schools. It makes evident an applicant’s propensity and drive for the course of study. Present applications are digital in form and hence this is intended to be uploaded online.
It is sometimes referred to as “statement of intent”, “depiction of research interests” or something analogous. Anyhow, it is an opportunity for the applicant to tell the admission committee,
- Area of academic interest or the research field you like to work on
- Past academic and work experiences that paved the way to select the course of study
- How the course will be helping you to achieve your future or career plans
- Why chosen the course and this particular university
Also, it must necessarily include reasons for choosing
- The course program
- This particular university
- What do you already know about the program? How this program will benefit you and what skills do you intend to gain from it?
Then, if you are writing a statement of intent for graduate school, you can also include
- Any awards or honours you received during the previous academic years
- Expound about interested research areas
- Back up your poor grades with valid reasons.
And if you are applying for masters programs:
- Explain your understanding and awareness about the career field what the course paves for.
And if you are applying for PhD. programs, your statement of interest should:
- Specify about any work experience who have had in the field of research and mention about the qualities you gained from them.
- Mention any publications you published and seminars, conferences or presentations you attended related to the particular field.
Read some appealing statement of interest sample for research to understand the major areas to consider while writing for a PhD. program.
It is obvious that the statement has to be short and most recommended length is not more than three pages written in double-spacing. Thus it is very essential that you have to carefully examine the specifications given by the university and make sure that you are writing in that accordance. Feel free to contact the college authority and confirm about the same if you have any uncertainties. Some universities have their own set guidelines to be followed while crafting these type of essays. For instance check about writing statement of interest ubc, (for the University of British Columbia).
Here in this article certain points are provided to help you to verify whether your statement of interest is adhering the standard dos and don’ts.
- State and prove your managerial skills, motivation and passion for the course of study.
- Showcase your true self.
- Figure out the most important and relevant academic achievements in terms of what you have gained or helped you to enhance the interest in the field.
- Show that you are self-disciplined and focussed and you have a thorough knowledge about the course applied for.
- Explain your anticipatory thoughts about what you would like to gain from the course
- Always begin your statement with a broader view of your field of interest and then slowly land at the specific area of concern.
Important note: if you could find any faculty members with similar field of interest as that of you, get them contacted and specifically mention about them in your statement of interest.
- Clarify why you think the course is better than the alternatives and how you find it best suitable for achieving your career goals.
- Explain about what you are planning to do after completing the course
It’s a definite NO to:
- Writing it in more than a couple of pages and reducing it to only one or two paragraphs. The former is not advised because, the admission officers have not much time to read a novel like document however the latter creates an impression that you have no awareness about the course and about yourself.
- Submitting without proofreading. There will be a number of typos, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in your draft. Poorly written statement are accounted as less-readable and hence it paves way to rejection of your application.
- Being informal beyond an extent. Stating your childhood interests to back your decision to choose the course. This gives you an amateur image.
- Generalising and showing yourself over involved in world’s issues.
- Offensive and cynical phrases
- Over-confidence and talking like an expert in the field. Admit that admission officers are well experienced and qualified than you.
- Negative connotations, about yourself, or anyone else like your manager in office, a teacher in your school etc.
In writing a statement of interest, your ultimate aim should be to exhibit yourself as a dedicated, accomplished, fervent, and a right fit for the program you have applied for. Also focus should be on your relevant skills particularly pertaining to the course program. The statement of intent for internship is not same as that for a university graduate course.
These are the general information which I found vital and worthy to share with the aspiring applicants. Hope you found them helpful too.
Contact us for further assistance.
Are you applying for career roles in the academic arena? Recruiters in the academic arena demand the submission of Statements Of interest along with certificates during the job application process. For these employers, the Statement Of Interest is more valid than cover letters.
What is a Statement Of Interest?
A Statement Of Interest is a document that should be submitted to a company to convey your interests for joining the organization though vacancies matching your skills or abilities may be currently unavailable. It is also known as Letter Of Intent.
Features Of the Statement Of Interest
- The Statement Of Interests should match with the job profile provided by organizations as a reference. This profile provides an insight into the expectations of the organization. Your Statement of Interest should exude your potential and it should match the expectations of your employers.
- Express your genuine interests in the field and it should be reflected in your Statement Of Interest. You can also furnish your work experience, internships, projects and relate it to your career aspirations or goals. This can create a positive influence on the employers.
- Provide an impactful introduction and avoid general introductions that can douse the impression of the reviewers or employers. Carefully craft your application.
- Letters of interest are also sent to employers to inquire on the hiring prospects. Such letters are called Letter Of Inquiry in such circumstances.
Cover letters are different from Statement Of Interest. These letters are sent along with the resume while applying for job vacancies in any organizations. The content and details of the cover letter and Statement Of Purpose are similar. You can check the samples of both online and understand their similarities and difference.
Statements Of Interest are important documents and they should be framed with powerful sentences especially at the introduction. It should comprise of all the highlights included in the Statement of Interest.
Language And Inclusions Of The Statement Of Interests
Use best and refined language. Your employers should be impressed at your language standards and your presentation should also be impeccable. Also ensure that your Statement Of Interest should cover all the important aspects that the employers wanted to be informed on.
Your inclusions should convince the employers to hire you, provide details of your academic achievement and professional accomplishments.
Align your professional interests with requirements of the organizations. There are some more important considerations for developing impressive Statements of Interest. Let us have a good insight.
What are the best inclusions for your Statement Of Interest?
- What interests you in the chosen job or organisation?
- How does the job profile interest you?
- Are you skilled and qualified according to the company’s requirements?
- How can you benefit the interests of the employers?
- Mention your relevant experiences.
Provide answers to all these questions in your Statement Of Interests. Also focus on the format of the Statement Of Interests. It should be well-presented and compelling. Begin your Statement with your name, contact address and email. In the subject line, you can include ‘Statement Of Interest in XYZ Company. Plan the statement to be fitted in 2 or 3 pages.
After assessing the considerations for drafting Statement Of Interest, what is your resolution? Are you interested to draft a Statement Of Interest yourself? If you are not familiar with the task, do not be disheartened. Simply opt for professional help. We are trusted, professional writers offering excellent services. Our skilled, expert writers can deliver best, high standards Statement Of Interests that can be presented at all job applications. Our writers are proficient in English and they can provide you exceptional, high quality Statement Of Interests.
Read about Personal Essays.